The strategic objectives of the new RWMP include the following:
- Stabilization of waste production at the levels of 2011, with a decreasing trend.
- Priority in the sorting of waste materials at source.
- Completion of the necessary network in waste management infrastructure by 2020, with the addition of the new network of Green Points.
- Minimize the total amount of recyclable waste disposed of for landfill.
- Reinforcement of the separate collection of Recyclable materials.
- Further utilization of secondary materials (compost, type A compost) by ensuring strict quality standards.
- Energy recovery in a complementary role, when the margins of another type of recovery have been exhausted.
- Systematic recording and monitoring of waste generation and management data.
- Reform of a central mechanism for monitoring and controlling waste management.
- Integration of communication of strategy for waste information and awareness.
- Integration of the central national axis of waste management, which provides for the implementation of prevention - reuse programs, but also the economic development of the Local Government with own resources, from recycling, in direct cooperation with the citizens-recyclers.
- Integration of local management plans by all the Municipalities of Western Macedonia region.
At the same time, based on the requirements of the approved SEIA (strategic environmental impact assessment) of the revised RWMP, it is required in each case to take place:
- Assessment of the impact of PESDA projects and activities in environmental areas, such as biodiversity and landscape, air quality and climate change, soil, aquatic environment, socio-economic and cultural environment.
- Check compliance with the requirements of the current environmental legislation and fundamental principles of sustainability (prevention, "the polluter pays", proximity, damage repair).
- Liaison with other management plans (waste, water resources, biodiversity, spatial planning) and funding programs (FTA, local management)
The RMWP is prepared with the perspective of its implementation of the objectives of the current legislation, within the next 5 years (2016-2020), as 2020 is the year of establishment of the objectives of both Directive 2008/98/ EC and Law 4042/2012, as well as the new National Waste Management Plan (NWMP). These national targets include the recycling of the 4 basic material streams by 50% by weight (Law 4042) and by 65% by weight (NWMP), separation at source for biowaste by 10% by weight (Law 4042) and by 40% by weight (NWMP), diversion of biodegradable waste from landfills by 65% by weight (Law 4042, NWMP) and finally the landfilling <30% by weight.
Specifically for Municipal Solid Waste (MSW), the objectives to be achieved at the Western Macedonia region level include:
- Reduction of Biodegradable Waste leading to landfill at 35% of the amount in 1997, by 2020.
- Biowaste Recovery with separation at source, 40% by weight by 2020, of which 3% by home composting or mechanical composting on site.
- Preparation for reuse of Recyclable Materials at least for paper, plastic, glass and metal, 75% by weight by 2020 and with separation at source of 65% for the same materials.
- Recycling of packaging materials by 80,2% by weight and sub-targets of 92% by weight for the paper, 70% by weight for the glass, 70% by weight for the metals, 70% by weight for the plastics and 80% by weight for the wood. And minimum sub-targets in 2020, 60% by weight for the paper, 60% by weight for the glass, 50% by weight for the metals, 22,5% by weight for the plastics and 15% by weight for wood.
- WEEE (Waste from Electrical and Electronic Equipment) recovery, 85% by weight until 2019.
- Separate collection and recovery of small quantity of hazardous waste.
- Separate collection and utilization 75% by weight of edible oils.
- Total recovery of MSW at a rate of > 70% by weight until 2020.
- Safe final disposal of unusable MSW at a rate of <30% by weight until 2020.
Results of RWMP of Western Macedonia
According to article 227, par. 2 of Law 4555/2018 and the article 35, par. 2.b. of Law 4042/2012 (repealed by the article 247, par. 1 of Law 4555/2018):
“The solid waste management bodies have the exclusive responsibility for the drafting-elaboration or modification of RWMP of par. 2 of article 35 of Law 4042/2012. If only one solid waste management body operates, of article 225 of Law 4555/2018, within the boundaries of a region, it has the responsibility of preparing and implementing the Regional Waste Management Plan (RWMP) of that region, according to article 35 of Law 4042/2012. The statute of a solid waste management body in the form of a public limited company provides for the exclusive competence of the General Meeting, mandatory for decision making, for the responsibility of preparing, implementing, and monitoring the implementation of RWMP, according to par. 2 of article 35 of Law 4042/2012, if it is the only solid waste management body of the relevant region”.
DIADYMA as the competent body for the planning, implementation and monitoring of the RWMP in Western Macedonia, prepares on an annual basis a Progress Report of implementation of the RWMP, which submits competently to the competent Department of Environment & Spatial Planning of the Region of Western Macedonia, to the Waste Management Department and the General Secretariat for Waste Management Coordination of the Ministry of Environment & Energy.
The following is a summary of the accounting data and the monitoring indicators for the Municipal Solid Waste Management (MSW) for the year 2019.
Presentation of ASA Management Results for the year 2019
|Production of MSW per stream|
Unloading mass losses
|Stored in MBT 31.12.2018||Recovery of recycling items from municipal separation at source, Industrial and Commercial Packaging Waste, and MBT||Recovery CLO from MBT||Losses in the MBT|
Remains of MBT, and RMSC in the landfill
|Total for Region of Western Macedonia|
ΑΠΟΛΟΓΙΣΜΟΣ ΔΡΑΣΕΩΝ 2022 και ΣΤΟΧΟΙ 2025