Mechanical and Biological Treatment plant
The Mechanical and Biological Treatment plant (MBT) is the most important facility of the Integrated Waste Management System (IWMS) of Western Macedonia.
Its Commercial Operation started on 10/6/2017 - exactly two years after the signing of the P.A. and without a single day delay - and enabled DIADYMA SA to ensure the treatment of all waste generated in Western Macedonia.
MBT is a complex of buildings and together with the residues sanitary landfill are developed in an autonomous area of 200 acres within the IWMCF.
- The Administration Building
- The Entrance Guard with the bridges
- The Reception Unit
- The Pre-processing Unit
- The Mechanical Separation Unit
- The Biological Treatment (Aerobic Processing) – Composting Unit
- The Refinery Unit
- The Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP)
- The Workshop/Laundry building
- The Storage area of recovered recyclable materials
- The Compost Maturation Shed
- The Compost Storage
It is a unit of Mechanical - Biological Treatment (MBT) which includes: mechanical sorting of mixed waste into recyclable and organic, followed by mechanical treatment and separation of recyclable materials in streams with wide use of optical, gravitational, ballistic separators and finally manual sorting, while the organic fraction is subjected to aerobic processing and composting in closed boxes.
The MBT was conducted in such a way that it is flexible:
(a) in the incoming quantities of waste
(b) in the composition of incoming waste (depending on the diversion from separation at source) and
c) in the type of incoming waste, as it can accept a pre-selected organic fraction.
The MBT in numbers
There are three main performance goals of MBT and PA.
- Diversion of Biodegradable Waste (BW) from Landfill at a rate of > 80%
- Diversion of Waste from landfill at a rate of < 35.96%
- Recovery of recyclable materials of mixed waste at a rate of > 35%
Results of previous years
|BW diversion||> 80%||86,40%||86,32%||85,29%||88,09%||85,70%|
|Landfill diversion||< 35,96%||32,77%||33,87%||35,56%||34,25%||35,50%|
|Recovery RM||> 35%||35,92%||38,44%||41,44%||41,80%||37,58%|